Welcome to the Forest Row Community Fridge.
We are based in Forest Row, East Sussex. We redistribute surplus food items to the community to reduce food waste & tackle food poverty
Why is food waste a problem?
- 6.6 million tonnes of food is thrown away every year in UK households (WRAP)
- All the world’s nearly one billion hungry people could be fed on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe (OLIO)
How does The Community Fridge work?
- We collect surplus food from predominately from supermarkets, but also from homes, and redistribute within the community.
- The Community Fridge is welcome to everyone.
- Although the food is free we welcome donations that help pay for our running costs
- We operate thanks to a great team of volunteers, of whom without we wouldn’t be able to redistribute healthy delicious food!
- Although our doors are currently closed to visitors we are still operating deliveries. If you’d like support please email us or contact via the contact form on our homepage.
How can you help?
We’d love to welcome you into our team if you’d like to help. We need volunteers to pick up deliveries, to deliver food during the current changes and also volunteers to help with admin. If you’d like to get involved, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How are we funded?
We are currently funded through a few different sources.
We received a grant from Sussex Community Foundation to help cover volunteer and running costs.
We accept donations from our visitors who would like to pay for what they take. These voluntary donations go a long way to support our running costs.
We also accept sponsorships or support from local businesses.
Our first fridges were kindly donated by The Secret Cellar- Independent Wine Merchants, Forest Row- 01342 777785
Our new high efficiency fridges and one new freezer were REPOWER Balcombe =clean community energy= repowerbalcombe.com
New high efficiency freezer donated by Sussex Police
Signage donated by Don Istead, Vinyl Sign Writer, D&A Sign, Crowborough, 01892 655924
Materials donated by Covers Timber & Builders Merchants, Brighton 01273 607044 covers merchants.co.uk
Donation from Stone of Destiny- Stone masons, Colemans Hatch 01342 822269, stoneofdestinydesign.co.uk
Electrical Instillation Donated by Wired Electrical Services- email@example.com 01342 826615.
Shelving donated by Lily Grace Lingerie, Forest Row 01342 822122
Donation from C.P.J. Field, Ballard & Shortall, Forest Row, 01342 822120